A house fire in Orlando almost claimed the life of Simba, a small dog that had to be revived after succumbing to smoke inhalation. Though it was a close call, firefighters managed to save the pup.
Officials from the Orlando Fire Department said the fire started shortly after 3 pm at a home on Hastings Beach Boulevard. The fire, which was caused by a pot of oil that had been left unattended on the stove, spread up a wall and through the cabinets of the kitchen.
One person had to be taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation, yet Simba remained inside. When he was found, he was unconscious but alive. After being given oxygen for approximately half an hour, the dog was revived and taken to the vet.
Officials warn not to leave food on the stove unattended. They provide the following guidelines for cooking safely:
Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.Use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.Keep anything that can catch fire, such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains, away from your stovetop.Have a fire extinguisher nearby.
This was the moment Simba became alert again after 30 minutes of oxygen on scene; Reuniting with the Lieutenant who rescued the canine. pic.twitter.com/avfn1MnJUh— Orlando Fire Dept (@OrlandoFireDept) July 13, 2018
Get out, when you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.Call 911.Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it has completely cooled.For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the oven door closed.
Kitchen fires can be incredibly deadly. The Grenfell Tower fire, which broke out on June 14, 2017, in the 24-story Grenfell Tower in North Kensington, London, UK, resulted in 72 deaths. Police believe the fire was started by a malfunctioning fridge-freezer on the fourth floor. The rapid spread of the fire was blamed on the building's exterior cladding.